Re: UI changes for 5.0?

Am 09.02.2018 um 01:54 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> If you want to tag rc1 this weekend, should we tag the libs as well?

Absolutely! Don't make the life of distributions and packagers more
complicated than needed.

There was a interesting talk on FOSDEM about how to make releases right
(in terms of "No, please don't do it this way."), the content isn't new
but sometimes it's good to look at this all from a sarcastic view.

https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/how_to_make_package_managers_cry/

>> Should we limit changes to the lib from that point on until the final
>> stable release or can we still make larger improvements in that
>> timeframe? (For example there is the idea to add pin numbers for the
>> mechanical mounting pins of connectors which would require renaming of
>> footprints to allow better footprint filters.)
>
> For the libs, docs, and translations, I'm ok if we hold off tagging
> until the stable release if that works for you.

Correct as this needs to be done by the respective sub parts like the
documentation or library team(s).

> For rc releases, we can just package these items as they stand at the
> moment.
Also correct, 'rc' means nothing other then this is a release candidate,
not to be considered as a final and stable release. But build tools an
chains need to be tested and improved, workflows needs to be adopted to
new versions or used tools ...

> I would not let this drag on too long.  KiCad is in pretty good shape
> so I'm hoping for a shorter rc period before the stable release than
> we typically have. Of course this all depends on how quickly we can
> fix any critical bugs that show up during the rc period.
It's no shame to build more than one RC candidate and gives
distributions also the chance to get better in touch with the new
version and also increases the chance to get more feedback from people
how are impossible or don't want to build the software by themselves.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert