From: Kicad-developers <kicad-developers-bounces+mrluzeiro=ua.pt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Andy Peters <devel@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 27 February 2018 23:21
To: KiCad Developers
Subject: [Kicad-developers] 3D Viewer "Render current view using Raytracing"    is ludicrously slow

This is probably way low on the list of priorities …

On a 2017 MacBook Pro (Retina, touch bar, 16 GB RAM, with the Radeon 555 graphics), the "Render current view using Raytracing" is ludicrously slow, as in it takes about a minute to render a “simple” design (front panel thing with LEDs and buttons).

I admit that I didn’t know what that blue cube in the 3D viewer’s toolbar was for. I guess it’s really a tesseract.

Anyway, it re-draws the display and then when you zoom or pan it reverts back to the original rendering (which is quite fast).

-a

Application: kicad
Version: (5.0.0-rc2-dev-26-g0d794b2), release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.54.0 LibreSSL/2.0.20 zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.24.0
Platform: Mac OS X (Darwin 17.4.0 x86_64), 64 bit, Little endian, wxMac
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (UTF-8,STL containers,compatible with 2.8)
    Boost: 1.61.0
    Curl: 7.43.0
    Compiler: Clang 7.3.0 with C++ ABI 1002

Build settings: