Re: Why do current nightlies report that they are kicad 5.0.0-rc2?

On 3/12/2018 10:23 AM, Jon Evans wrote:
> I have seen multiple users who run nightlies think they have RC2 because
> they read "5.0.0-rc2" and stop reading after that :-)
> Maybe we should switch the tag back to "5.0-dev" between RC releases?
> I think all of us developers are going to look up the git hash anyway to
> know exactly when a given version was built, so the "rc2-dev"
> information isn't super necessary for me at least.

I don't have any issues changing the git tag and KiCadVersion.cmake to
something more descriptive.  I'm not sure if you will be able find
anything that wont confuse someone but I'm open to suggestion.

> By the way, it's probably annoying to change this because I imagine
> there are scripts that depend on it, but I wish the git hash didn't have
> a "g" in front of it, since if I just double-click that portion of the
> version string I have to manually remove the "g" before pasting it
> elsewhere to look up the hash.

You will have to take this up with the git project.  I wasn't thrilled
with the leading g either but using `git describe --dirty` does work
well and simplified the the code in CreateGitVersionHeader.cmake so I
will be reluctant to change it.