Re: What is the purpose of multiple 3D models?

Den lør. 31. mar. 2018 00.02 skrev Jeff Young <jeff@xxxxxxxxx>:

> A footprint can have several 3D models associated with it (confusingly
> named 3D Shape Names in the dialog, but never mind that).
>
> What is the purpose of this?
>
> Is it so that library devs can add different formats and the renderer will
> choose the first it has a plugin for?

No

If so, we need to say that in the UI.  Right now if you add two models,
> selecting between them has no effect.  (That makes sense if the above is
> true and you as a user have figured that out, but is confusing as all heck
> otherwise.)
>
> But that also means you might want to order them (so that a preferred one
> will be selected over a fall-back if both plugins are available), no?
>
> Or is it for some other reason entirely?

Sometimes you would like to add myltiple models to a footprint.

There is a subtle but important feature. It will render a wrl model over a
step file, because users with wrl models use them for more control over
surface properties, but will still be able to export a step assembly if the
model exists with the same name as the wrl, but just with the stp
extension. See Maurices freecad script tool.

On that, I don't really think we need to do much in the GUI other that what
is done now.

One feature that is a bit wonky is the preview when browsing for a model.
It is not a standard opem file dialog because it was not possible to add
the preview pane in wx on all platforms to the native file selector. It was
decided to have the one we have now for cross platform consistency.