Re: Initial rc6 development.

Le 18/05/2018 à 17:51, Tomasz Wlostowski a écrit :
> On 18/05/18 17:38, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> As we approach the v5 stable release, I want to discuss a something we
>> should seriously consider before we open the flood gates for new feature
>> merges after the v5 branch.  We are currently in an awkward position
>> with regards to gtk3 builds on Linux.  Given that most distros are now
>> building wx against gtk3, we really should work towards fixing this at
>> the beginning of v6 and back porting it as soon as possible so that we
>> can better support the current Linux distros.  Fortunately, most distros
>> have thankfully provided a gtk2 build version of wx in order to build
>> kicad.  However, they have not done the same thing for wxpython so for
>> most new distro releases, we have to build kicad without wxpython
>> support.  I propose we spend some time immediately after the v5 release
>> and fix the gtk3 issues before we start making major changes to the code
>> base so that it is not difficult to back port.  Anyone else have any
>> thoughts on this?
>>

> Wayne,
>
> I would put most of the effort on developing the GAL version of
> eeschema. It's not our fault that Linux distros change the APIs of
> essential system libraries every 2 years. As a short term solution, I
> would propose distributing a distro-agnostic binary Kicad package that
> includes all dependencies, including wx and gtk2 libraries. In the
> longer run, GALified schematic editor is IMHO the way to go.

Hi Tom,

When we are talking about GAL, we are actually talking about 2 different things:
1 - the GAL itself, that is the graphic part of "GAL"
2 - the new event management, that has nothing to do with the graphic layer itself.

Using the new event management could be a much more amount of work than writing the  graphic layer
code only.

So my question is:
It is possible to use the GAL itself (restricted to the graphic layer), and keep the current
wxWidget management events in eeschema and page layout editor (although the graphics in pl_editor
are so basic we can redraw the full screen without any optimization each time a object is moving).

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS