Re: Initial rc6 development.

On 18/05/18 17:38, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> As we approach the v5 stable release, I want to discuss a something we
> should seriously consider before we open the flood gates for new feature
> merges after the v5 branch.  We are currently in an awkward position
> with regards to gtk3 builds on Linux.  Given that most distros are now
> building wx against gtk3, we really should work towards fixing this at
> the beginning of v6 and back porting it as soon as possible so that we
> can better support the current Linux distros.  Fortunately, most distros
> have thankfully provided a gtk2 build version of wx in order to build
> kicad.  However, they have not done the same thing for wxpython so for
> most new distro releases, we have to build kicad without wxpython
> support.  I propose we spend some time immediately after the v5 release
> and fix the gtk3 issues before we start making major changes to the code
> base so that it is not difficult to back port.  Anyone else have any
> thoughts on this?

Wayne,

I would put most of the effort on developing the GAL version of
eeschema. It's not our fault that Linux distros change the APIs of
essential system libraries every 2 years. As a short term solution, I
would propose distributing a distro-agnostic binary Kicad package that
includes all dependencies, including wx and gtk2 libraries. In the
longer run, GALified schematic editor is IMHO the way to go.

Best,
Tom