Re: Initial rc6 development.

Hello Seth,

Am 18.05.2018 um 22:27 schrieb Seth Hillbrand:
> ​Carsten-
>
> I understand your concern and I think that this is valid.  I am not
> proposing that we ignore distribution decisions (that would be very
> counter-productive!)  And you are right, Debian works extremely well
> with KiCad.
>
> Ubuntu 18.04, on the other hand is less pleasant.  If we want v5.0 users
> to have wxPython, we need either delay v5 in order to translate SWIG to
> SIP or make an AppImage/Flatpack thing.  Is there another option that
> I'm missing, apart from just ditching wxPython altogether?

Ubuntu is typically pulling packages from Debian testing and modifying
them if needed. So also happen to the KiCad packages from Debian testing
for Bionic. But Kicad on Debian testing is currently broken due the
symbol issues libwxgtk3.0-dev vs. libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev. Jeremy Bicha has
tried to fix this by doing a version 4.0.7+dfsg1-1ubuntu2 and has cherry
picked some changes from my current build setup for 5.0.0+rc1. But these
changes are pulling in the GTK+3 library libwxgtk3.0-gtk3 as dependency
for the kicad package. This itself isn't the problem as the root of the
problem is the wxpython package which is only available linked against
GTK+3.

I already would have uploaded the current 5.0.0+rc1 based packages
rebuild against GTK+2 libraries and disabled wxpython usage but right
now I can't build the documentation successfully so I can't upload
anything. The issue isn't the Kicad documentation itself but the current
set of texlive packages in Debian unstable. Ubuntu Bionic has already
disabled the build of documentation in version 4.0.7+dfsg1-1ubuntu1. But
I can't do this for Debian as this is a RC issue.

If someone wants to dig into the issue I posted the current problem on
kicad-doc-devs. I appreciate any help to solve the current build issue.

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-doc-devs/msg00128.html

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert