Re: RC2 String Freeze Q

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 01:01:12PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
> Hi Seth,
>
> On 5/21/2018 12:44 PM, Seth Hillbrand wrote:
> > Hi Wayne-
> >
> > There's a couple minor differences between the strings shown the user in
> > modedit and pcbnew.  I'd like to standardize these.  This involves
> > removing a few strings from modedit and replacing them with the strings
> > from pcbnew.  This does not change anything for our translators as we
> > are only removing strings.  But I would like to check in before doing
> > this and certainly don't intend to continue picking these nits until
> > after 5 is released.
> >
> > -S
>
> As long as you are making string changes that that don't result in
> missing translations, I am fine with the changes.
>
> There certainly are plenty of strings in KiCad that have the same
> meaning with slightly different wording that could use some
> housekeeping.  This would make life easier for translators but that is a
> task for v6 at this point.

>From a translator perspective this, merging similar strings in different
context, is not always a good idea. Different languages may translate the
same English words differently, depending on, for example, the fact that
the subject may be male or female ...

For example, depending on the subject, in Italian the English words
"null" or "void" may be traslated as "nullo" (male) or "nulla" (female)

Gettext has a way to differentiate the same string in different context
but, unfortunatly, wxWidgets do not recognize all the gettext features
and this in particular.

So care should be used in choosing too general strings and I suggest that
the developers to be more wordy and less concise to avoid these issues.

Hope that newer versions of wxWidgets will be smarter in this respect.

Sorry for my bad English as usual.

Best regards,

--

Marco Ciampa