Re: KIDIALOG broken

Orson,

On 7/23/2018 12:03 PM, Maciej Sumiński wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> On 07/23/2018 05:40 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> In the process of fixing this bug
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1782708 I discovered that the
>> KIDIALOG object called when editing an externally defined environment
>> variable will completely lock up kicad on windows.  Clicking the dialog
>> OK button or hitting the escape keep does not close the dialog and I
>> have to manually kill the running kicad process.  When I convert this
>> code over to use wxRichMessageDialog directly, it works as expected.
>> It's possible that wxRichMessageDialog::ShowModal() does not like being
>> overridden.  Will someone check to see if this issue occurs on macos or
>> linux?
>
> I have just tried to recreate the mentioned bug report on Linux, but it
> works fine here. I have successfully changed the path, got the dialog
> displayed and confirmed everything by clicking OK.

I confirmed with a debugger that it is definitely hanging on the
wxRichMessageDialog::ShowModal() call.  This may not be a viable
solution on windows.  Technically ShowModal() is implemented in
wxDialog.  Calling wxDialog::ShowModal() doesn't work either.  I can
change this to use wxRichMessageDialog rather than KIDIALOG to fix the
bug but that doesn't fix every place else KIDIALOG is being used.

>> Also, what is the purpose of the "Do not show this message again"
>> checkbox when it's only for the current session?  Generally speaking
>> checking this option would not show the message forever.  This seems
>> like it would be confusing to the user.
>
> It is the same kind of relief you get with wxWidgets asserts. If there
> is a window that will keep nagging you because you have done something
> wonky on purpose, then you have a choice to ignore a warning dialog
> instead of straining your finger. I have added this option to handle
> warnings about malformed polygons, as without do-not-show-again checkbox
> you can spend a lot of time closing warnings before you even get a
> chance to fix polygons.

This is fine but I think users will expect the dialog to be gone forever
not just the current session.