Re: The version string in the master branch

ti 24. heinäk. 2018 klo 22.59 Wayne Stambaugh (stambaughw@xxxxxxxxx)
kirjoitti:

>  5.1-dev will confuse the package version
> sorting when 5.1.0 is released.

Why do development packages (nightly builds or self-compiled) need to be
sorted with release builds?

The most misleading strings are in the window bar and in the About KiCad
dialog, and those texts aren't sorted anyways. Can't they be different than
package file names? Windows nightly build package names don't have the
version, nor do the ubuntu nightly packages.

> I'm fine with Simon's proposal but
> users will be no less confused by 5.0.0-452-g23849572 than by
> 6.0.0-rc1-xxx-commithash.

Based on my experience with linux distros and applications for about 20
years and as a former open source developer I would like to disagree. But I
know it doesn't count... I just want this sorted out because people will be
confused for the next couple of years, and we who answer questions in the
user forum have to clarify the situation every time.

Eeli Kaikkonen