Re: Hotkeys in GAL

Hi John,

On 07/24/2018 07:21 PM, John Beard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions about hotkeys in GAL tools:
>
> 1) Is there are reason so many GAL tools don't get hotkeys?
>
> Very many TOOL_ACTIONS have a hotkey set to '0'. Most others that do
> have a hotkey have a LegacyHotkey definition. Only a very few have the
> GAL-style keys (e.g. rotate CW).
>
> I think nearly all GAL tools should have a hotkey assignable, even if
> they default to unassigned. It's quite limiting to not be able to
> access some tools except by the menu. (This may mean some tools need
> defences against being called even when the menu item is disabled.)

I would not mind adding more hotkeys, I think the primary reason is that
not every action is executed often enough to justify a hotkey. Even with
the current configuration it might be challenging to find a free hotkey
for an action.

The initial idea was to list all TOOL_ACTIONs in the hotkey editor, so
the user may decide for himself which actions should have a hotkey
assigned. It might be somewhat tricky to implement with legacy canvas
still in place, so perhaps the right moment will come when legacy canvas
is out.

> 2) Is it/will it be supported to have the same hotkey for multiple
> contexts? For example, say there's an AS_GLOBAL action using "G".
> However, when you're in a tool mode, that could be overridden by a
> AS_CONTEXT action that only makes sense in that tool.
>
> This already sort of works, *but* the hotkey dialog does not like
> duplicate keys, even when one is global and one is contextual. Can
> this be changed, or is it pending removal of the legacy canvas and
> hotkey system first?

As I said, it might be difficult to make the hotkey editor handle two
sets of hotkey configurations. I imagine we could have subsections in
the editor that are specific to tools and these would be acceptable
duplicates with global and other contexts hotkeys. I am open to other
ideas too.

Cheers,
Orson