Re: "Make Gerbers and drills zip"

It would be nice if this were more formally supported instead of just being
a thing that people figure out how to do :)  Python scripting is certainly
one way.
Altium has this capability -- they don't use a real script like Python, but
more of a configuration file.
But the key point is that it is often different for each project, so you
want a nice way to take each script and customize it for the given PCB
project, and then check it in with version control alongside the other
design files.
For example, you might have a "standard" output generation script, but then
for a certain design you tweak it to turn off certain layers or to name the
files a certain way.