Re: 5.0.1 release

On 8/28/2018 12:48 PM, Rene Pöschl wrote:
> Right now we have no changes made that would break projects. (That is
> what i meant with "backwards compatibility" I know it is not quite the
> right term)
>
> Also i thought the cache lib plus rescue dialog should take care of
> minor changes to symbols if the user does not want to update a symbol
> should it be changed.

Yes, but I do not like depending on the cache.  It's too fragile.  Once
the new schematic file format is in place, this will no be an issue.
Until then, I prefer to error on the side of caution given the cache
issues we've had in the past.

> It should not even be necessary as we do not allow changes to symbol pin
> numbers or positions. (Unless there was a mistake in the symbol.)
>
> As we did not include any of the wrongly scaled or wrongly aligned 3d
> models in the version 5 library there is also no danger of damaging the
> 3d rendering side. (There is a reason why the version 5 3d model library
> is a lot smaller compared to the version 4 3d model lib)
>
> We do neither allow changing any library names nor do we change symbol,
> footprint or 3d model names unless the original name was wrong enough to
> be in danger of being confused with a part different to the one that the
> object really represents.
>
> If you do not intend to include the library then i will lift the ban on
> major changes as it does not make any sense in that case to hold back.
> (The only reason would be to allow including bugfixes into future kicad
> bugfix releases. I would include updating to newer industry standards as
> bugfix. The later is the main work being continued on the footprint
> side. We simply where not done with it with the v5 release but it was
> not bad enough to postpone the release.)

I didn't realize you were keeping tight control of the library commits.
 I'm fine with these changes being added to 5.0.1.  I would like to keep
the libraries relatively stable during the entire 5 stable series.  For
version 6, you can make whatever changes you see fit.