Re: 5.0.1 release

Hello Seth,

Am 29.08.18 um 22:32 schrieb Seth Hillbrand:
> Hi All-
>
> Quick question for packagers:  If we need to re-make a package after
> 5.0.1 is released, can we use -DKICAD_VERSION_EXTRA=1 when you re-build
> and increment the number for each subsequent build of the same release?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'If we need to re-make'. KiCad uses until
now the semantic versioning [1]. At least what I think about the version
number. So I my understanding is simply you will increase the PATCH
version with every fixup release like done in the past. If you create a
new micro version the version string is simply 'major.minor.patch+1'.

Version numbers are cheap and costs quite nothing. No need to add one
more extra special additional one-time version string in my eyes.

> The extra string will be appended to the KICAD_FULL_VERSION and get
> reported in the bug reports version listing.  This would greatly help to
> identify issues as well as give users the heads up when there is a newer
> version that they should be using.

All you need is an unequivocal version, right. Adding some 'extra'
string makes it more complicated if you would break the existing version
string. People could make mistakes while copying the version string or
even try to manipulate somehow the string. For more clearance you will
need the SHA hash id which is also a bit complicated to trust, git
archive isn't using it for example if you build up an archive from a
tag. So version created that way won't have a hash id in the extra
version info even if you would display a string for this.

[1] https://semver.org/

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert