Re: Consistency between symbol and fp editor UIs

Hi Eeli,

> On 3 Oct 2018, at 09:23, Eeli Kaikkonen <eeli.kaikkonen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> You may prefer bug reports for this and I can do that, but I thought it might be good to gather some opinions first. There's more than one issues and I don't know if I have noticed them all.
>
> The new library editors with left side library tree panel have still some inconsistencies which could be fixed. I'm not sure how similar or identical they can be - does the fact that the underlying library mechanisms/file formats are different affect this? Anyways, here are some issues.
>
> 1. When a new symbol is created from the toolbar button or from the File menu, it asks for the library immediately if no library wasn't active. The footprint editor ask for it only when saving. I think the symbol editor is better.

This is due to the underlying architecture.

> 2. Context menus on library trees are a bit different.
> 2a. On a library row:
> - Fp editor doesn't have Add Library

Fixed.

> - Symbol editor has Save As, fp editor has Save A Copy As

Fixed.  (The action was already “save copy” for both, just the menu names were inconsistent.)

> - Fp editor doesn't have Revert

This is because of the underlying architecture.  We don’t really want to revert a directory.

> 2b. On a symbol/fp row:
> - Fp editor doesn't have Revert

Fixed.

> - Fp editor doesn't have Duplicate, Cut and Copy

Fixed.

> 3. Trying to save without write permission opens dialog which is different. The symbol editor's dialog is non-technical, the fp editor's is a technical system message. The symbol editor then opens a save file dialog. I think this may be because of the underlying format difference?

Why don’t you log a bug for this one.

Cheers,
Jeff.