Re: UTF-8 change please test on Windows/Mac

Le 17/10/2018 à 13:45, jp charras a écrit :
> Le 17/10/2018 à 01:51, Seth Hillbrand a écrit :
>> Hi All-
>>
>> Our UTF-8 routines are mildly fragile and didn't play nicely with
>> higher-order unicode sequences [1] causing a segfault for anything
>> larger than 16-bits.
>>
>> I've pushed a fix that changes how wchar_t* characters are assigned to
>> the UTF8 class.  This is a band-aid fix as it doesn't address the
>> underlying problems with utilizing wchar (this is compiler dependent)
>> but it keeps us from crashing and I don't think that our stroke font
>> goes into the higher levels.
>>
>> That said, because this is compiler dependent, it would be very helpful
>> to get some additional testing under Windows in particular.  Please see
>> if you can correctly name nets with a few glyphs from [2].  Ones that
>> are not in our stroke table should display with '?' but remain correctly
>> displayed in the textbox when you edit the label again.  Ones in the
>> stroke table should display correctly in both.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Seth
>>
>> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/kicad/+bug/1798144
>> [2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unicode_characters
>
> Hi Seth,
>
> With this fix, on W7 32 bits, msys2, Eeschema crashes at start, when run
> from Kicad manager.
> Strangely, it runs when started as stand alone.
>
> Gdb is not useful to know what happens.

More test:
In fact eeschema crashes when reading the .sch file that contains the
UFT8 char.
I used in my test the char 'ñ' (OxC3 OxB1 utf8 code) in a label.
This is the reason it crashed when starting from Kicad.

Note, without the fix, the .sch file is loaded without issue.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS