Re: eeschema depends on libngspice.so instead of libngspice.so.0?

On Freitag, 26. Oktober 2018 22:30:03 CEST Maciej Suminski wrote:
> > $ dpkg -S /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libngspice.so.0.0.0
> >
> >> libngspice0:amd64: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libngspice.so.0.0.0
>
> What about libngspice.so.0 symlink? Which package ships that? Anyway, it
> makes sense to request a particular version of the library in case the
> API changes in the future.
>
> > So looking manually at the binaries build from the kicad source by ldd I
> > can see a lot linked libraries but no library libngspice.so.0! Seems the
> > library is simply opened by dlopen. So that's the reason why the
> > packaging isn't adding a dependency on the package libngspice0.
>
> You are correct. The library used to be linked with eeschema, but we
> have faced problems that could be resolved only by reloading the
> library. I am afraid it has to stay this way for the time being.

The safest approach would be to create a shim library/module which links to
libngspice.so.x at build time. Any API changes would be catched at build time
and the soversion would be fixed afterwards.

Shipping this module as part KiCad would also make automatic dependency
resolution work again.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Bergstraße 21  /  52062 Aachen
home: +49 241 53809034     mobile: +49 151 50412019