Re: eeschema depends on libngspice.so instead of libngspice.so.0?

Hello Orson,

Am 26.10.18 um 22:30 schrieb Maciej Suminski:
> What about libngspice.so.0 symlink? Which package ships that? Anyway, it
> makes sense to request a particular version of the library in case the
> API changes in the future.

Simon already has written some more technical explanation but to answer
your question here in detail, libspice.so.0 is provided (for the reason
Simon mentioned) in the plain library package in Debian, and this is
libngspice0.

https://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/libngspice0/filelist

>> So looking manually at the binaries build from the kicad source by ldd I
>> can see a lot linked libraries but no library libngspice.so.0! Seems the
>> library is simply opened by dlopen. So that's the reason why the
>> packaging isn't adding a dependency on the package libngspice0.
>
> You are correct. The library used to be linked with eeschema, but we
> have faced problems that could be resolved only by reloading the
> library. I am afraid it has to stay this way for the time being.

As a potential step into the right direction it would be good if
eeschema would search for libngspice.so.0 on Linux platforms. I can then
add a manual dependency on the library package instead on the -dev
package (which is gladly for ngspice rather small compared to other -dev
packages).
nsgpice and especially the upstream packaging did from a Debain POV
really big steps forwards and I'm really happy that Holger from the
upstream team was really responsive to my questions and suggestions in
the past year! Without this it wouldn't be possible that KiCad in Debian
can now use ngspice from Debian main!

So far I know Holger is also reading on this list, so I suggest to get
in contact with Holger Vogt about the problems you have or had in the
past. I'm quite sure Holger is willing to improve the situation if possible.

--
Regards
Carsten Schoenert