Re: Issue with wxWidgets 3.1.2 - MSW. Need GAL gurus help.

On 12/21/18 8:22 PM, jp charras wrote:
> I very recently updated wxWidgets from 3.1.1 to 3.1.2
>
> I ran into a problem with Pcbnew and Gerbview (Not eeschema, that has a
> different event handler):
> The context menus Zoom selection and Grid Selection are no longer
> working (and presumably any other context submenu).
>
> I had a look into this issue (MSW specific).
> The 3.1.1 and the 3.1.2 have different behaviors.
>
> The attached patch fixes this issue.
>
> However I do not understand this code in context_menu.cpp line 361:
>  if( menu && menu != this )
>
> The condition " && menu != this" is the culprit:
> in wxWidgets 3.1.2, menu == this happens always.
> in wxWidgets 3.1.2, menu == this happens never.
>
> This line has no comment, and must be modified.
>
> I'll be happy if Thomasz or Orson could have a look into that issue, and
> that change and if this condition can be explained, if it is needed.
>
> Thanks,

Hi Jean-Pierre,

The commit message for the mentioned line says "Fix for clarification
menu crash (GAL/Windows)". Unfortunately, it had been committed before
we started using 'Fixes:' tag, so I cannot point to a particular bug
report. My impression is that FindItem() could return the same menu
object, ultimately leading to an infinite loop on Windows.

I will try your patch later with an wxWidgets 3.0.x version to see if
removing the condition causes any problems.

Cheers,
Orson