Re: Cost of different courtyard elements for the closed outline and DRC algorithms

Happy New Year everyone,
On the topic of courtyard shapes, I think that a lot of people totally misunderstands the purpose of it. It is only intended to be used as a no-fly zone for the tools used by automated placement machines. So the use of arcs for corners is useless at best except for a full circle around an electrolytic capacitor, and even there a square would work fine for the intended purpose. Why complicate things when simple convex polygonal shapes will do the job.
Just my opinion though, and i used placement robots for many decades.
Jean-Paul

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, Jan 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM, Rene Pöschl<poeschlr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:   Hi,

Right now we have a few contributions for the library that use arcs
quite extensively on the courtyard layer.

I would therefore like a bit of input.

Are arc generally more expensive than lines?

Is there a difference if the arc is a multiple of 90 degree compared to
any other angle.

Is there a difference if the endpoints of two neighboring endpoints meed
exactly vs they being within the tolerance range for counting as a
closed outline (If i remember correctly then the tolerance was 0.01mm. I
assume this is the radius of the tolerance circle.)

Regarding tolerance: How stable will the currently chosen value be? (If
we allow arcs on the courtyard layer then we will need to fix a
tolerance in the KLC. This is especially the case for arcs that are not
90 degrees.)

The two pull requests that are responsible for this question:

- https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-footprints/pull/1040

- https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-footprints/pull/1159