Re: [KiCad-developers] Hoping to contribute but I have some questions

Wayne

I don't think a new file format is necessary. I can transfer a change list from PCBNew to eeSchema via Kimail. This would simply be a string or something and never surface (though, for an audit trail it might be useful to have the changes written out as a log file, at least optionally). Once this change list has been checked by eeSchema (in case the schematic is not synched to the PCB), the changes would be implemented in PCBNew and eeSchema. Then the equivalent of Update PCB back to the PCB.

So, to summarize:
1) Generate a change list in PCBNew;
2) Using Kimail send the change list to eeSchema for quality control (in case the schematic is out of synch with the board;
3) Once the change list has been checked, update the reference designations on the PCB;
4) Using Kimail, direct eeSchema to update the reference designations as per the change list;
5) After updating the schematic, eeSchema invokes an "UpdatePCB" which
	a) generates a new netlist;
	b) transfers that netlist to PCBNew via Kimail;
	c) opens a menu to import the netlist to PCBNew.

Note that the netlist changes still flow from eeSchema to PCBNew, however, since the reference designations on both the schematic and the PCB have been changed in exactly the same manner, the connectivity is not changed.

I have done this manually using edit commands in PCBNew and eeSchema and it seems to work fine.

To reiterate, I am pretty virtually certain this can be done without requiring a new file format and will ensure the schematic and PCB remain in sync with the netlist.

Of course, I may be misunderstanding your point or not be well enough versed in how things work.

Nevertheless, if I work on the code and hit a brick wall I can either look for a solution or abandon the effort in shame.

Regards
Brian