Re: License CC-BY-SA-4.0 used in KiCad

Hey Carsten,

On 1/27/19 1:46 PM, Carsten Schoenert wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Am 27.01.19 um 19:14 schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
>> Carsten,
>>
>> The metadata (which I assumed to be defined as libraries, templates, and
>> samples but maybe my thinking is incorrect here) license is
>> CC-BY-SA-4.0.  What "required parts" are missing that would resolve the
>> Debian copyright information?
>
> well, Lintian is "just" a QS tool that tries to be smart. :)
>
> In general Lintian is looking at the whole files, and this is the source
> and also in the created packages.
>
> As the libraries are not included in the src:kicad package it can't find
> any references to CC-BY-SA-4.0 licensed files in the copyright file and
> thus is prints out a warning. "Heh, I've found a mention of some general
> CC-BY-SA-4.0 licensed files but I haven't found any it in the copyright
> file!" Lintian doesn't know here of any other source packages that might
> depend on KiCad.
>
> I can override this warning with a small explaining and pointing what
> this line in appdata.xml is intended for. I suggest you or someone else
> simply write some lines that KiCad is relaying on other parts (like
> libraries) which are licensed as CC-BY-SA-4.0 which I can point to.
>
> I personally would drop that line in appdata.xml and just add this
> information and relationship of KiCad to other parts in LICENSE.README.
>
> The demos have no extra license statement so they are covered by the
> licenses for KiCad. All other parts like libraries, documentation, l10n
> are organized in dedicated trees with also own license information.

I suppose I could remove the CC-BY-SA-4.0 metadata license but I'm not
sure it makes sense to put the demos under the gpl3+ license.  Maybe we
should add the CC-BY-SA-4.0 license to the demo folder or the main
folder with a note that the demos fall under the this license.  JP, you
created most (all?) of the demos.  Do you have any opinion on this?

Cheers,