Re: V6 merge update

Am 2019-02-21 15:21, schrieb Wayne Stambaugh:
Since we are nearing the 5.1.0 release, I want to get an idea of what
major merges are ready to go once 5.1 is branched. I know Jon's netlist
code is ready to merge and I'm pretty sure that should be the first big
merge.  Does anyone else have any major changes they want to merge as
soon as v6 starts?  I would like to get an idea of what changes to
expect so we can avoid any serious merge chaos. Please let me know what you have in the queue so I can get an idea of how we should proceed with
the merges.

I know that JP has some updates for the pad corners and I have a patch set for unifying graphical items with track segments. But both of these are file format changes, so I'd like some thoughts on the following idea first:

Once v6 is started, I'd like to freeze the v5 parsers and make a copy of the parsers for v6. This would mean that all new format features would be implemented in a separate parser while any changes to underlying structures would require updates in three parsers (legacy, v5 and v6). This will be an "of course" for eeschema because we are re-working the format to s-expr but I think that it also makes sense to hold a fixed copy of the v5 parser with all its warts.

Some requirements to do this:
- unit tests that open v5 files and save to a known good v6 files
- unit tests that load v5 files and compare expected data structures

Nice to haves (but not required):
- Save-as function that allows downgrades with limited feature sets

Do people have concerns with this idea?

-S