Re: Feedback on 5.1

One good example of a really flexible snapping system is what Autocad does
with OSNAP and OTRACK modes

Object snap (OSNAP) creates snap points from many features in the objects
or interaction between objects. an important feature is that the different
classes of snapping points active at any time are user-selectable:

[image: image.png]

Most types are self explanatory, endpoints of lines and arcs, center
points, midpoints and quadrants. extensions from endpoints and intersection
between lines, arcs, circles or combinations. When they are activated they
work as a simple "magnet" for the active tool. another very useful feature
is that the UI shows a distinctive icon for each kind of different snapping
point, so it is easy to tell if you are snapping to the correct thing. Eg
squares for endpoints, triangles for midpoints, diamonds for quadrants,
circles for centers, etc.

Object Snap Tracking (OTRACK) is the really delicious thing. if you hover
over an object snap point for a couple seconds, it "sticks", now tracks
shooting out of those points are snapping guides, and you can snap to the
intersection of such, it is hard to explain how much it improves the
drafting experience but this page does a pretty good job of describing it
with pictures: http://www.ccadinc.com/autocad-tutorials-otrack.html

I'm not saying we have to copy autocad... but the tools are a bit of an
industry standard in the drafting world and they really improve
productivity when you have to lay down lines, arcs and have all of them
line up perfectly, with some practice you can make very complex shapes
using construction geometry and the snapping system.