Re: timestamp_t bit width

Am 2019-03-24 13:23, schrieb Jon Evans:
Hi all,

Another question from this forum thread:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/before-giving-up-on-kicad-one-last-attempt-erc-misery/15933/67

timestamp_t is defined as "long", with a note that swig can't handle
int32_t.

I don't understand this comment. SWIG includes stdint.i which explicitly defines the exact integral types. Maybe Jeff can shed some light here?

This means that timestamp_t will be 32-bit on many platforms, but
64-bit on Linux and MacOS running on 64-bit hardware.  Apparently
there is at least one bug here involving the Eagle importer writing
out library files with 64-bit timestamps, which 32-bit KiCad cannot
open.

This is a problem in ParseHex(). If it gets a hex value that overflows, it throws an error, stopping the processing. So this isn't specific to the Eagle plugin but rather a 32-bit/64-bit issue. We allow 64-bit to be written to file but only generate a time_t (32-bit) value for new, internal stamps.

The Eagle processor creates its own "timestamp" by hash which is 64 bits on a 64 bit machine.

Q1: Is there actually a bug here? maybe someone more familiar with the
Eagle importer can take a look.

Yes. Definitely bug. We should be trimming the hash-based timestamp to 32-bits.

Q2: Shouldn't we change the type of timestamp_t to be either "int" (if
we want it to be 32-bit) or "long long" (if we want it to be 64-bit)?

I think 32-bits is the correct way to go here and using uint32_t should work but I may be missing an important detail.

My first thought is that we should change timestamp_t to be 32-bit on
all platforms, but I'm not sure the best way to handle existing files
that have been written out with 64-bit timestamps.

This is problematic. I think we could patch the reader to handle 64-bit values but store 32-bit.

-Seth