Improving library editor checks

I've been playing around a little bit with KiCad source code lately and in
the forums [1] I was encouraged to write to the dev mailing list in order
to get feedback on how to improve the current library error checking.

Summarizing the thread, I made some changes [2] so that a couple of KLC
checks are performed on syms but now that I've done that I would like to
implement this properly. I am looking for pointers on how should I
implement this so that the chances of me getting the code upstream maximize
and so that I can reuse the ERC/DRC code as much as possible.

Thank you!

[1] https://forum.kicad.info/t/improving-library-editor-checks/16557/5
[2]
https://gitlab.com/kicad-mirror/kicad-source-mirror/compare/master...feature%2Fklc