Re: 6.0 string proposal

I was referring to UCS-2 or UCS-4.  I’m evidently behind the times, though, because I now see that UTF-32 and UCS-4 are equivalent.

(Which means that both some of John’s original premises and my quote in teal below were wrong: UTF32 is indeed a one:one map between code points and chars.)

So my proposal (in 2019) should be std::u32string (using UTF32 encoding, for which myString[3] still works).

Better?

Cheers,
Jeff.

PS: I was last in deep with this stuff during the early days of PDF & Acrobat — which was 30 years ago. ;)