Re: A consistent name for the Aux Origin?

Once you establish a base coordinate origin, you really don't want that moving. All the mechanical holes, notches, connectors, switches, clearances, and other locations are measured from that origin. Moving during layout risks placing a component in the wrong spot.

The movable grid origin is extremely useful for placing components or routing tracks relative to each other. It's a feature I suspect many people use and depend on. And no, you don't want to move the base origin for this and then hope you move it back to exactly the same spot later.

The "local origin", the one you set with the space-bar, is handy for measuring distances without needing to use a measuring tool. The "Move Exactly" dialog uses this to good effect to allow rotation about a spot, though one might argue that the grid origin could easily be used for this.

I'm just finishing up a set of patches that allows the user the option to see all coordinates displayed relative to the Aux Origin or the Grid Origin. The only real complexity in this is the need to pass a reference to the transformation class down to all the places its needed, just as you had to pass the user's units choice to those same places when you removed g_UserUnit last year. This keeps all the transformations from the internal origin to a display origin and back in one place. With this in place, doing things like allowing the user to choose to make the Y-axis increase UP rather than DOWN is trivial (which I've already done).

The origin that is utterly useless at present is the page origin somewhere near the upper left corner of the paper drawing frame surrounding the board layout. If you could lay out a board so the page origin was usefully related to the board's dimensions this would be okay, but right now you end up with the paper page's "frame" overlaying your board. Get rid of the frame and everything else associated with the layout being a paper drawing rather than a digital model of the PCB, and we don't need the Aux Origin.

-Reece