Re: Atomic Libraries Proposal

Hi,

the symbols mentioned by simon are the generic ones. Sadly not all manufacturers use the same mapping not even for the same package. (especially not for to-92 and sot-23)

Right now the best option is to have one symbol per possible arrangement in the generic lib. We also have a full transistor lib that of course does not contain every possible part. The intention is that the user then copies the correct generic symbol, assign the footprint and saves it under the part name (plus add BOM info to their liking.)

This would not go away with the proposed solution. One would need these 6 symbols and select the correct one for the atomic part. If the pin mapping is however moved to the atomic definition then it would be possible to have one symbol (that only has pin names instead of numbers) and connect them to the pads as needed. (Similar to how eagle does it.)

The problem with adding this would be that it is a bit counter to how kicad works now. If we add it in addition to the definition in the symbol then it will be quite confusing. (This is my general fear about this suggestion. It will add another option on top of the already possible ones. One of the reason why i would suggest to move some of the responsibility currently in the symbol into it. Or think about how the same result can be achieved within the symbol file format. The inheritance stuff seems to be a perfect fit.)