Re: File format incompatibility between nightlies and 5.1 (max_error)

On 2019-06-05 08:35, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
It was just found out
(https://forum.kicad.info/t/bug-align-to-right-left-does-the-same-thing-on-bottom-side/17149/9)
that commit 6bcf1839b7a6 added max_error which causes board to be
incompatible between nightlies and 5.1. It's of course inevitable at
some point, but I have asked earlier that developers would explicitly
tell here or in the forum when that happens and how (I read the list
but don't remember seeing a clear warning).

Hi Eeli-

Perhaps this message [1] was not clear enough. I will endeavour to make the warnings into their own messages in the future.

I would caution against working with 5.1 and the nightlies on the same project. We will not only be adding new tags but we will be removing old tags that are no longer used. In this case, I have removed the segments per zone tag. This means that when opening a board in 5.1 after hand editing to remove the "max_error" tag will revert to the default segments per zone rather than what was in the file previously. This will probably not cause major issues unless you explicitly set the number before but in the future, removed tags might.

Best-
Seth

[1] https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg40749.html