Immediate actions

My plan had been to support both two-step (first selects tool; second draws object) and immediate (always draws) actions, and let the user assign the hotkey to the one they prefer.

But I’m discovering a bunch of things that are unsettling about it.  It hard to discover if we chose the default option that’s not the one you wanted.  Which actions does the Place menu show?  It kind of has to do a select-tool action, but that’s inconsistent if the tool is already selected.  And to make matters worse, you’d really like to show the immediate hotkeys there because that’s the first place people will look.

Then I had an epiphany: it’s easy enough to distinguish select-tool from draw-object contextually (did they use the menu or not?); the real differentiator between two-step and immediate is whether or not the tool remains selected after the object is drawn.

So how about if we add a preference for that instead?

Follow ups