Re: PCBNew Find and "match words"

Actually that is an old video from a couple of years ago, made before the "edit symbol fields" was merged into the main branch -Oliver Walters was working on that tool at the time, when the name of the tool was still "spreadsheet view"-. I needed the function on one of my projects so I made it almost "quick and dirty" and shared some ideas. ...after this "historic" moment (hoping I did remeber everything correctly), back to the topic:

I reported it here only to have an example for the small "search dialog" (from minute 0:18 to 0:45, 0:33 to 0:45, 0:49-0:50 etc.) that could be one of the ideas to consider (or, better, to improve) for the "find and "match words" function (to be shared as much as we can between eeschema and pcbnew to have a consistent user interfaces). Please don't consider that the search results are used to fill the spreadsheet view, the focus is only to the small dialog to set the search string.

The idea was to have a part of the search dialog with "common search", another with the chance to write a complete regular expression and if the user select a "common" or "simple" search string, having automatically compiled the "advanced" field with the corresponding "advanced" tab.

The new user, who does not know the regular expression syntax can use the "common" and "simple" search. After some times the new user wants to become an "advanced" user and can start looking at the regular expresion syntax. The advanced user that does not remember all the regular expression syntax can always "cheat" using the "simple" or "common" tab and edit the resulting regular expression.

Of course this is just one of the options, probably can be made better.

(Well from the engineer's point of view... the answer to the question "can it be better?" is always "yes").

Cheers,
Dino.