Re: Allowable character set for symbols and footprints

Offhand I don't know if other characters can be allowed.  This is not
so much a limitation of any specific system, but a requirement to
ensure that there are never any problems with the filenames when used
on any system. So as far as file naming goes, I'd say stick to those
strict limitations.  Some limitations may also be imposed by kicad's
manipulation of the file names at various points (footprint file,
schematic library name, etc).  I haven't worked on the source for a
long time so I can't recall the limitations and some of these may even
have changed over the past 2 years. My question would be why would you
want to use other characters? Of course it's obvious why people who
don't use English would want that, but my opinion would be that
perhaps the files should have a translatable description within them
and we can come up with a scheme to manage these descriptions. It's a
big job considering the current data sets, but not unlike the usual
l18n tasks within KiCad.

Cirilo