Re: [RFC] Symbols and Pin mapping in v6 - Proposal

Hi,

Thanks, Wayne, for the response in which you pointed to the v6 Symbol Format Document.

Thanks to others who contributed as well.

Wayne, you also mentioned information scattered in this mailing list (which I have

explored a fair bit, later and after the fact, but with mixed results).

Btw, the v6 Symbol Format had already been pointed out to me (In fact I used v6 syntax

to illustrate a point in my proposal).

On the whole, I feel there is more to it than the symbol file format. Approaching it from a

User perspective, I think it is the semantic aspects of the data model

that attracts a lot of interest from users -- much more than the file format itself.

Understandably so, since the data model underlying the tool addresses some key points,

e.g. as to what the main data entities are, and how they are related. Particularly,

the is-a and has-a relationships, the cardinalities of relationships, constraints etc

all of which would have the greatest impact on the user.

(Other finer aspects including rules and policies governing object ownership /

referencing / containment / lifecycle etc would be more dear to developers but normally,

users care little about those).

>From searching this mailing list, I could find no definitive statements on the

semantic aspects of the data model which would help me conclude whether or not KiCad v6 would

allow a logical pin name to map to a list of pad numbers, or that symbols with unmapped pins

could be created (to be used for purposes they are fit for).

(That is, a one-to-n mapping where range of n == I, i.e., zero included).

Perhaps these matters are clear in the minds of developers but have not been published

(or I couldn't find them).

As regards Atomic Parts and the "generic workflow" (for want of a better term),

I am in agreement that KiCad should support both types of usages fairly. I think

software maintenance would be easier if both are handled in a unified manner. I think

having pin mapping as a third asset, distinct from symbols and footprints, yet with the possibility

of being implicitly bound to symbols when required (for supporting the atomic part use-case)

will be a good thing in that direction. (In a nutshell, that motivates my proposal).

I think the philosophy of XESSCorp's KiPart tool [https://github.com/xesscorp/kipart]

reinforces the point, as also some other EDA tools which allow pin mapping to be

separate(d) from the symbol itself.

As far as I can gather from the User Forum, most users would be happy to have the

facility to import pin maps (preferably in a CSV kind of text format), and apply the

mapping to get the symbols they want -- when faced with a situation where no

matching symbol is readily available.

For FETS, BJTs, Opamps and the like, KiPart is not a very happy solution since most

people prefer to see the familiar graphic symbol (than rectangular boxes). It could

well be the EE equivalent of "Literate Programming", or that a picture is worth

a thousand words...

For more complex functional blocks (e.g in a processor or FPGA), boxy graphic symbols

are fine enough (e.g. as drawn by KiPart).

Another thing about KiPart is that it works outside of KiCad. I think a similar facility

within KiCad, supporting the combining of existing or generated graphic symbols with

user-definable pin mappings, will be a good addition to KiCad.

Depending on whether the graphic symbol is a familiar symbol (e.g FETs)

or a boxy symbol which is auto-generated, some differences could arise.

But in  both cases, a facility to import/export pin mappings in CSV format

would be useful, in my view.

Having a CSV (or other simple text format) defined will allow easy conversions from typical

 established formats to the appropriate KiCad CSV format. Some of those

"standard formats" are, taking FPGA use cases, Quartus "*.pin" format,

Xilinx UCF/"*.pad" format etc. These could be handled by matching plugins / scripts.

I think KiCad users would like to know and influence the direction v6 will take on matters

such as these. More communication between developers and users would be beneficial (subject

to time constraints, of course. That bit, I do totally understand!).

Thanks to everyone who offered their inputs here as well.... and thanks for listening!

Cheers,

--Ajith

---