Re: Building Kicad on Windows 10/Eclipse/Msys2

la 23. marrask. 2019 klo 4.05 Brian Piccioni (brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
kirjoitti:

> Can Simon or somebody who understands such things verify that the
> following is correct so I can update my recipe?
>

> Thanks

> In Mingw64
>

> git clone https://github.com/KiCad/kicad-source-mirror.git
>

> This will create a local repository directory called kicad-source-mirror
>

> At any time you can update the repository by
>

> cd kicad-source-mirror
>
> git pull origin master
>

> Note that this will leave files which are in kicad-source-mirror but not
> in the kicad source repository unaffected.
>
> *** However *** they will over write your versions of those files! So if
> you edit cmakelists.txt or any other Kicad source file those edits will be
> lost.

Git pull tries to merge the upstream changes to your files. If there are no
conflicts the upstream changes and your own changes will both be in your
local files.

I don't think it's necessary to teach people how to use git in these
instructions. Just simple "download the source zip package and unzip it or
use git clone so that the sources are in such and such directory, for
example:..." and the simple unzip command line and the simple git clone
command line. You don't give further instructions about using unzip, either.

BTW, it's unnecessarily verbose to say "git pull origin master". Just "git
pull" is enough when you are in the local master branch. It's a shortcut
for "git fetch" + "git merge"; for details see e.g.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/292357/what-is-the-difference-between-git-pull-and-git-fetch
or a git tutorial. (Now you can see why you shouldn't try to give extra
information about git in these instructions. Those who want to use git can
read a git tutorial.)

Eeli Kaikkonen