Re: Plugin/3rd party content manager

On 2019-11-25 17:46, Andrew Lutsenko wrote:

Hi Seth,

Yes, I planned to write up my design in google doc and open it to comments. I think that works best for public discussion, even though it requires having a google account.

Design I'm thinking about requires 0 custom backend work. It will rely entirely on publicly available infra such as github/gitlab hosting and ci/cd pipelines. Admittedly that imposes some limitations on what we can do (and I will outline them in my doc) but we can always add custom backend system later to complement free infra. Assuming design is accepted I am interested in doing at least a minimally functional implementation. I have a lot of ideas but some of them will have to be implemented later because it's not a trivial task.

Ok, I'll start working on it and will hopefully share the doc by end of this week.

Andrew

Hi Andrew-

We need to start with the API definition and file format changes. The API definition should include end points and returns. The file format changes should include the files and specific configuration lines needed.

Please do not go down the road of an entirely public infrastructure manager. We can include an option for additional servers that return the API calls, but this needs to be centralized to fit into the KiCad roadmap.

Best-
Seth

Seth Hillbrand
KiCad Services Corporation