Re: Proper way to report bugs on branches

Le 28/01/2020 à 01:10, Brian Piccioni a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I have been using Kicad while working on re-annotation (hopefully
> Alexander's merge request will soon be accepted and I can dust off mine).
>
> I have been using branches of the current master. I have noticed a few
> issues which I think are significant and not related to Alexander's work
> (or mine).
>
> For example, when I hit F8 in eeSchema to update my PCB it resolutely
> demands to update some of my resistor network symbols unless I select
> "Update footprint associations by existing references". This seems to
> happen no matter how many time I let it update those RNs.
>
> Should I used the standard bug reporting system or is there a special
> way to deal with these?
>
> Brian

Components with multi units have one sheet path (unique ID) by unit.
But a footprint has only one sheet path.
So only one sheet path must be picked among candidates.

Looks to me the way the sheet path is chosen has changed between stable
and master version.

This is an annoying change, but not an actual "bug".
However fixing it is a good idea.

My personal opinion is the:
"Update footprint associations by existing references"
should be the default.
and the other option only used after re-annotation (the unique id is not
an obvious parameter for users, because it is a "shadowed" parameter).

Once the board is updated, you should not see this issue (of course
using the same eeschema version).

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS