What does /path do in PCBNew files?

Hello

In the "Kicad File Formats" PDF (and in KicadPCB files) there is (path /5127A011)  where the number after the slash usually changes. I don't see any where this field is described in the documentation.

It seems that if I copy and past a symbol in PCBNew the "(path /" field is duplicated so I end up with two components with the same "(path /" causes, for example "Error: Pcb footprints R100 and R8 linked to same symbol" error on back annotation.

This, in turn, causes problems with geographic reannotation.

So, can somebody explain what (path / is?

Thanks

Brian Piccioni

Follow ups