Re: What does /path do in PCBNew files?

It's the symbol ID from the schematic. This defines the connection between
the symbol in the schematic file and the footprint in the layout file.

Indeed I have intended to ask about copying this in pcbnew. There's no way
to change (remove) it in pcbnew. Once a footprint is pasted or duplicated
it's bind to the same symbol as it's originator footprint. As far as I can
see there's one use case for this when copying from the same board: having
several alternative physical components for one functional component
(symbol). But this isn't obvious nor is it clean IMO.

It's probably useful if the corresponding components are copied from
another project to both eeschema and pcbnew. But inside one project this
may be more confusing than useful. Maybe it should be handled like
copying/pasting symbols and reference designators is handled now in 5.99:
with Paste Special options, trying to find the best alternative for the
default paste.

And/or there should be a way to reset this field. The footprints added by
the "Add a footprint" function don't have "path".