Project Setup for Development and Beginner recommended beginner work on eeschema

Dear Devs,

I would like to join your efforts in further developing Kicad. I would like to ask what kind of IDE or general development environment you use for developing Kicad. Maybe someone can offer his setup as a starting point, I would love NOT to spend to many hours getting everything set up. I am working on Linux (mostly Debian based). I am able to build the latest release.

My long term goal is to improve Eeschema sheets. So I am looking for some smaller fixes that have to be done in this area to get into the code.

Thanks
Rico

Follow ups