Re: Is it really the case that installing KiCad on a Mac requires manually copying files around?

Hi folks,

I do not believe that the users on that forum are correct about Catalina.
You do not need to chmod anything, for instance.

I mean this in the kindest way, but I am not sure how to solve the issue of
users authoritatively suggesting random things when someone else has a
problem :). I do not have the KiCad bandwidth to post on the forum that "if
you have to do something that isn't in the README, either it's a bug that
should be reported, or you're doing something you don't need to do" but
maybe other folks on this list who do enjoy following the forum can help me
with that.

I am slightly against adding more to the download page, because if users
ignore the large text that says "Open the readme for installation
instructions", I suspect they're going to ignore a wall of text on the
download page and just look for the links and start downloading.  It also
makes it look like we have a weird, unusual installation process, when our
installation process is so typical that the vast majority of Mac users
installing our software skip reading any instructions and install it just
fine.

Because of the lack of notarization, when you install kicad, you have to
run the main kicad program first before running things like pcbnew.  I have
notarization working as of February but some offlist stuff has to get
resolved about which certificates I use for public distribution....

The "you have to run kicad first, once" situation has been the same for 4+
years.  We typically get a small handful of complaints a year, and so far
they have all been solved with "Please make sure you have run kicad.app
once first before running things like pcbnew.app." and then we get a happy
"it works!".

As I said before, this notarization thing is solved as of early February,
but needs a little more organizational support before it can be given to
the public.

Adam Wolf