Re: Build Server for MacOS

I provide the release builder and nightlies builder for macOS for
KiCad.  I would love to have the macOS build cluster also provide CI
checks for branches and builds!

A few months ago, the second machine in the cluster broke.  The first
machine is able to keep up with nightlies, but cannot do any builds
beyond that.  I have purchased another (expensive...) system for the
cluster.  I'll be adding it into the cluster soon, but I am located in
the United States and my business, where some of these machines are
located, is not easily accessible due to the lockdown.  Additionally,
I have two young children who no longer have school or childcare, and
my KiCad time has approached zero.  I was able to get the 5.1.6
release out last week on time, which, to non-parents right now, may
seem like a regular accomplishment, but to me, this was a Herculean
effort.

kicad-mac-builder is primarily used for making release builds on
macOS.  These needs are similar but also much more extensive than the
needs for development or "does this build/test fine".  I've been doing
this for quite a few years now, and I am continually impressed by the
new and different ways that release builds of something of KiCad's
magnitude can break on macOS.  (Because of that, the nightly and
release macOS builds are performed in their own VM, each time, with
all the dependencies built each time.  This sounds like dramatic
overkill to everyone except for people who package and distribute
macOS software outside of Xcode.)

If you're interested in helping out, I would love some extra help.  If
you want to try some third-party services, awesome.  It will be much
easier to get kicad to build in a third-party CI service than to get
kicad packaged, so I would suggest starting there.

If you want to work on kicad-mac-builder so that I have more time for
doing things like "setting up the build cluster", that's awesome too.
There's a good balance of small and big issues on the issue tracker,
and I can usually respond within a day, Monday through Thursday.
nickoe has been helping out lately too, and he seems to be available
at all hours within a few seconds ;)

Adam Wolf