Re: How much do we care about small memory leaks?

At least one leak is not in this issues. I made a MR for the one i
found https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/merge_requests/231
Question, when i see multiple ones but have only fixed one of them,
while the others will take a few days, should i make a MR for each one
of them or is it better to have a single MR for all of them?
And should I also create an issue or only a MR?

I found them with valgrind.

Am Fr., 29. Mai 2020 um 14:43 Uhr schrieb Ian McInerney
<Ian.S.McInerney@xxxxxxxx>:

> There are quite a few leaks in the code at present, and every now and then I go through and try to plug some of them (but I don't find all of them, that is for sure). My suggestion is that you can either propose a patch in a merge request if you think you know where the memory should be freed and who owns it, or file some issues with the details of the memory leaks if you aren't sure about the memory management. I usually find these when I run under ASAN, and there are several open already (and some more I am needing to open issues for):
>
> https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/4070
> https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/3882
>
> -Ian
>

> On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 3:23 PM Johannes Pfister <johannes.pfister@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> As an example, if opening and closing the plot window would leak 3 kB
>> each time, would we care about that? And is it justified to increase
>> code complexity to avoid this leak?
>> If yes, what about "leaks" that alloc memory only once, use the same
>> memory till the application is closed and don't free it. Should we
>> increase code complexity to avoid this "leaks" too?
>>
>> The reason for this question: There are some of this kind of leaks in the code.

Johannes Pfister
Electronic Engineering
johannes.pfister@xxxxxxxxxxx
+41 55 460 22 25