Re: How much do we care about small memory leaks?

> If the memory is allocated at startup and doesn't grow in size, I
> wouldn't be too worried about not freeing it at shutdown.

But removing them can help remove real leaks since the output of
valgrind / ASan will be shorter and therefore clearer.

Am Fr., 29. Mai 2020 um 14:33 Uhr schrieb Andrew Zonenberg
<azonenberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> If the memory is allocated at startup and doesn't grow in size, I
> wouldn't be too worried about not freeing it at shutdown.
>
> True leaks (growing in size over time) are a major problem. I routinely
> leave kicad instances open for weeks or months while working on large
> projects.
>
> On 5/29/20 7:22 AM, Johannes Pfister wrote:
> > As an example, if opening and closing the plot window would leak 3 kB
> > each time, would we care about that? And is it justified to increase
> > code complexity to avoid this leak?
> > If yes, what about "leaks" that alloc memory only once, use the same
> > memory till the application is closed and don't free it. Should we
> > increase code complexity to avoid this "leaks" too?
> >
> > The reason for this question: There are some of this kind of leaks in the code.

Johannes Pfister
Electronic Engineering
johannes.pfister@xxxxxxxxxxx
+41 55 460 22 25