Re: Granularity of DRC error code

But couldn't this taxonomy be separate from the DRC_ITEM (i.e. error
code) taxonomy?

For example you could have a "classic minimum clearance" severity setting.
This would set the severity of any DRCE_CLEARANCE items generated
where the rule source is the classic system.
This would replace all of the "X too close to Y" error codes

I think if we did this, the minimum set of error codes would look
something like one error code per setting in the Constraints setup
dialog.
Maybe even smaller than that number of settings, because you can set
separate numbers for vias and microvias and I still don't think you
need separate severities for those.