Re: Kicad 6 API

On 7/16/20 12:13 AM, Tim Hawkins wrote:
> Modularization is a key part to large-scale refactoring, if you have
> system that can't be subdivided then that a good indicator that you have
> an architectural problem.

Parts of KiCad are very modular.  Other parts, not so much.  There is
still plenty to do in that regard.

> One of the best refactoring patterns for large systems is the "Strangler
> fig pattern", where you split out a unit of functionality as a seperate
> module and refactor that.  In this case I'm speaking of modules nothing
> the kicad sense of its bunch of seperate apps, but in the sense of a lot
> of small subunits, somebody spoke above of a kicad.so library, but that
> is in itself too large a chunk and things need to be a lot smaller than
> that.

Code modularity and shared object modularity are two separate issues.
If you are suggesting that we break a kicad.so into lots of smaller
libraries, I don't see the need for that except maybe to split out the
board and schematic base object code.

> I'm a 40 year veteran coder, c, c++, php, java, kotlin, and c#/dotnet
> core. I have not been very active in OSS, maybe it's time that changed,
> and kicad sounds like a good project to engage with, as it would engage
> with my interests (PCBs, CNC, 3d printers etc, personal fabrication). I
> use fedora Linux everywhere, I have all the tooling required.
>
> Where can I find a good guide for getting started with the project?

The two best sources of information for new developers are the
contributors guidelines on the KiCad website[1] and the wiki on the
KiCad source repo at GitLab[2].  There is a bit overlap between these
resources but everything you need to know is in there.  If you have any
questions, the mailing list is the place to ask.

[1]: https://kicad-pcb.org/contribute/developers/
[2]: https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/wikis/home