Re: MSYS2 Dropping 32-bit support

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 1:44 PM Mark Roszko <mark.roszko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Been working on Phoenix, I basically have something working to build,
> though it'll be awhile before I have anything to share.
>

> However, here's the fun part:
> wxPhoenix 4.1.0 only works with wxWidgets 3.1.4 and above
> wxPhoenix 4.0.7 only works with wxWidgets 3.0.x series
>
> There's a fun gap with 3.1.0-3.1.3 :D Basically even with their fancy
> pancy dynamic generation system for most of their code. They hardcoded
> things specific references with no version checking fallback. Even the
> 4.0.x series may have some compatibility issues with wx 3.0.x depending on
> mix.
>
> wx is to blame too because wxWidgets 3.1.4 has API changes that
> really should have made it 3.2.  Hell, 3.1.4 appears to have enabled a
> newer C++ standard and the build is broken for MSVC until you patch it with
> master because Microsoft under some newer standard flags clamped down on
> STL export violations.

wxWidgets follows a "development series" version system - only the even
numbers are stable releases (e.g. 2.9, 3.0, 3.2, etc.), so anything in 3.1
is going to have API/ABI changes happening as they change the API and
stabilize it before the next stable release (the full list of changes from
3.0 to the current 3.1/future 3.2 is here
https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets/blob/master/docs/changes.txt). This
on its own isn't a problem, the real problem is that 3.1 has been in
development for a long time and hasn't been released as a stable release
yet.