Re: Automatic assignment of footprint with a database

Hey Martin,

This is a concept I've been working on in the background (managing
libraries through a database, including footprint assignments but also
fields/properties)

The way I was thinking about approaching it is not just a filter in CvPcb,
but actually a new type of library (including a new part chooser).
It would pull the underlying symbols and footprints from existing
libraries, but would connect to a database (local or on a remote server)
that has all of the information about which parts use what symbol and
footprint, and what other properties to bring in (manufacturer part number,
etc)

There is a draft spec:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qXwFPbYOwFXRNvjRN5BttRX_4esEDdYDt1cOpOmNc8A/edit?usp=sharing

I have not put a lot of time into this yet because V6 feature freeze is
right around the corner, and this would be for a later release.

Best,
Jon