Automatic assignment of footprint with a database

Hi,

I wrote already in the Forum, but did not get an answer. Hopefully I'm
getting here more attention :)

I’m thinking about how the footprint assignment can be more
“intelligent”/faster. I’m not talking about simple parts like resistors/
capacitors without extra requirements, but diodes, inductors, connectors,
integrated circuits.

For example diode:
The most of the time the same symbol for a diode is used, but the footprint
changes. But before selecting a footprint you search for a diode which fits
your needs (at the distributor, manufacturer, …). After you selected the
exact part, only a few footprints are still available (for diodes in the
most time only one).

For inductors it is the same, but many times the footprints are generic,
but the 3D model matches not always. For example they have a different
heigth. (I think this is currently not doable, because there is no 3D model
assigner)

So it would be nice if in cvpcb exist a filter which filters only these
matching footprints.

Where to store the information which partnumber matches with which
footprint?
Maybe this information can be stored in a database
found this: Part-DB <https://github.com/Part-DB/Part-DB-symfony> Looks
pretty good to do the job.
So CVPCB access this database and assigns automatically the footprint (and
the 3d model which matches)

The database contains many parts which have footprints (or only the path
(preffered)) as attribute

So at the end the workflow looks like:

   1. Create schematic with generic parts
   2. Add Manufacturer number to parts
   3. Let CVPCB Assign automatically footprints

What has to be done:
# create database with KiCad footprints inside (script)
# Add parts to the database
# Add new filter button to CVPCB
    - implement db access
    - search in symbol if a manufacturer number field exist and use this
value
     - access the database and search for the part
     - assign footprint to symbol (if in the database only the path is
stored, what to do if the footprint does not exist)
# Add settings where the url to the database is stored.

What do you think about something like that?

This is the forum post:
https://forum.kicad.info/t/automatic-assignment-of-footprint-and-3d-model/24497

Is there a timeplan for v6/ feature freeze date?

Cheers,

Martin

Follow ups