Re: High speed tools

>>For (1) I know Oleg Endo has been doing some work on the Net Inspector to
allow grouping nets for combined length measurement:

That's nice stuff to have, thanks Jon! From the beginning I was thinking
about a new GUI, which will hold all groups you want to length match. And
separately show about length on different layers and vias count. Idea is to
have the ability to check some net groups quickly. Because if you have 10
groups, it's not very comfortable to use a netlist inspector. But... Maybe
that's not very "must have" tool, It's probably should be only in the
python scripts

>> For (3) the intent was to do this via the new DRC rule system. The PNS
router needs to be updated to take the new DRC rules into consideration
before this will work.

That will be great! Do you mean the new DRC rules, which you can type by
hand?

>> Yeah, I think it could be useful.  I think I can finish it (i.e. get it
to a useful state re-implemented with wxDataViewCtrl) by end of September
or 1st week October.

Thanks, Oleg. That stuff is nice to have for sure.

>> New DRC will take care of that (checking length between arbitrary
endpoints as well as reporting constrained length traces/diff pairs).

Hi, Tomasz. That's good news. Anyway I would like to have some GUI which
will show me these lengths during routing, because in some complicated PCBs
DRC takes a few minutes. And when I route such stuff I want to see numbers
easily accessible.

>> Did you mean per-layer width/gap constraints?

Oops, poor me. That's a mistake, I tried to write "width" :)

>> We didn't plan implementing such a tool. Beware that even if it happens,
applying more than cosmetic changes to the routing globally will likely
ruin your board so badly you'll spend rest of the day cleaning it up...

I don't think about the modification of the whole layout. But when I cannot
select one diffpair or its part and change some properties and adjust, I
feel stressed ><